INCOME REPLACEMENT BENEFITS (IRB’S):
Following a car accident, the fear of not being able to work is overwhelming. Not only are you dealing with pain, you also have the fear of not being able to cover your rent or mortgage, provide for your family and making your bill payments on time. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, then you may be able to qualify for income replacement benefits to assist you while you are unable to work following a car accident, motorcycle accident, or other type of accident involving a motor vehicle.
The accident benefits insurer is required to pay income replacement benefits for the period in which you suffer a substantial inability to perform the essential tasks of your employment or self-employment. The insurer is not required to pay an income replacement benefit for the first week of the disability or after the first 104 weeks of disability, unless, as a result of the accident, you are suffering a complete inability to engage in any employment or self-employment for which you are reasonably suited by education, training or experience.
Amount of Income Replacement Benefit:
- The weekly amount of an income replacement benefit is 70 per cent of the gross weekly income, up to a maximum of $400 per week, unless optional coverage was purchased by you, which could increase the amount of the income replacement benefit. You can purchase up additional coverage which would make you eligible to receive up to $1,000 per month.
How Do You Know if you Qualify for Income Replacement Benefit:
- There are several factors to consider when looking to elect Income Replacement Benefits, such as:
- How much were you earning per week at the time the accident happened?
- Have you worked at least 26 out of 52 weeks prior to the motor vehicle collision?
- Were you collecting Unemployment Insurance at the time of the accident or in the year prior?
- Did you have a contract for a job to commence that you are unable to accept, following the accident?
If you have been injured in a car accident in Ontario and would like to receive more information on the income replacement Benefit, call Pranzitelli Law Firm and we will be happy to discuss it further.
With Accident Benefits claims, come onerous and copious amount of forms to complete on an ongoing basis, along with stringent deadlines that must be adhered to. This can be a massive source of stress for claimants. To further complicate matters, accident benefits are constantly changing under the STATUTORY ACCIDENT BENEFITS SCHEDULE, O. Reg. 34/10. At Pranzitelli Law Firm, we handle all of your Accident Benefits forms, as well, we take over all communication with the insurance company on your behalf. This way, you can focus on what matters, getting the proper treatment and taking the steps to recovery without distraction.